Young-Williams Animal Center continues to closely monitor the situation surrounding novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and is updating our response as new information becomes available to ensure the safety and health of our animals, employees, volunteers and visitors.
To best serve the community and the animals that depend on us, we continue enacting several measures. Please see below for updates on policies during this time. We will continue to update as needed.
- The main shelter at 3201 Division St., off Sutherland Avenue, and the Animal Village satellite adoption location at 6400 Kingston Pike, are open during normal hours – daily from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and closed for one hour from 1-2 p.m. for animal quiet time.
- Following social distancing guidelines, Young-Williams Animal Center staff allows 10 guests in the shelter at a time, five on the cat adoption floor and five on the dog adoption floor. A minimum of 6 feet between individuals is required, including those waiting in line.
- All shelter guests, including customers, visitors and vendors are required to wear face coverings when inside the shelter, except for certain documented legal, life, health and safety or security considerations. No-contact temperature checks are performed on all guests as they enter the shelter. All visitors are required to sign in as they enter the shelter and provide an email address and phone number.
- Social distancing guidelines are posted inside the shelter and at all entrances. Designated staff members are assigned to prompt customers on the importance of social distancing.
- Shelter traffic is controlled by a clearly designated entrance and a separate designated exit.
- Hand sanitizer and sanitizing products are readily available for employees and customers throughout the shelter. Shared resources and all high-traffic/high-touch areas are sanitized frequently.
- All employees are required to wear face coverings when interacting directly with members of the public. The only exception is if an employee is working alone in an assigned work area. Any employee who exhibits symptoms or feels ill is directed to leave the premises immediately and seek medical care and/or COVID-19 testing.
- Curbside adoptions continue through the “foster to adopt” program. Apply online at www.young-williams.org/adopt-a-pet/.
- To help care for our animals, we will continue the curbside foster program. Apply at www.young-williams.org/get-involved/foster/.
- Pet owners can schedule an appointment with Spay/Neuter Solutions for both on-site and mobile Spay Shuttle services. Schedule an appointment online at www.young-williams.org/spay-neuter-solutions/schedule-an-appointment/ or call 865-215-6677.
- The Intake department (including Lost & Found) remains open to take in strays and for owners to reclaim lost pets. Call 865-215-6665 or text the number posted on the door at the shelter for assistance.
- The Pet Resource Center is open for pet owners who need free pet supplies, food or other help to keep pets in their home. Call 865-363-6702, email [email protected] or text the number posted on the door for assistance.
- In addition to online donations through the Young-Williams Animal Center website, we are accepting donations directly from our Amazon Wishlist. Visit www.young-williams.org/donations/shelter-wishlist/ and click General Shelter Wishlist to donate. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, all donations to Young-Williams Animal Center help animals receive essential care and find their forever home.
The team at Young-Williams Animal Center thanks you, from the bottom of our hearts, for your continued support as we navigate this tough situation together. We continue making adjustments to keep everyone involved in our lifesaving work as safe as possible, while still caring for the animals that depend on us for shelter. We are all in this together, and we have never appreciated our community more than right now.
For more information, call 865-215-6599 or visit https://www.young-williams.org/.