Black Pearl Event! August 26-28
Did you know that black dogs are often passed over for adoption in favor of lighter-colored dogs?
This is commonly known as “Black Dog Syndrome”.
This phenomenon may be due to a number of factors:
- Black dogs are often portrayed as aggressive in film and television
- Association of the color black to evil or misfortune
- Fear stigma against certain breed types/stereotypes
- Facial expressions of dark colored dogs are harder to read
- Black dogs don’t show well in a shelter setting
- Or it could be that black dogs are just too ordinary…
To help bring attention to this problem, and to help our black dogs find new homes; we are celebrating and promoting our “Black Pearls”!