Found a Pet?

Nacho-22399471(3)If you have found a stray animal in Knoxville City or Knox County:

  • Call our L/F dept so we may list the pet in our lost/found pet log. (865)215-6665
    • By law, if you find a pet and intend to rehome it, you must leave the pet posted in our lost and found log for 10 days.  After the 10 days, if no one claims the pet, you may rehome it.

Sec. 5-21-Keeping stray animals; failure to surrender stray animals:

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person in the city to knowingly and intentionally harbor or keep in possession  or keep in possession by confinement or otherwise any animal which does not belong to him without the permission of the owner unless he has, within 72 hours from the time such came into his possession, notified the unit. Upon receiving such notice, an animal control or police officer shall take such animal and place it in the animal shelter or allow temporary custody not to exceed 10 days, during which time a notice containing a description of the animal, the date and place where the animal was found, and the name, address and telephone number of the temporary custodian shall be posted at the animal shelter. If the animal is not reclaimed during this time, the custodian of the stray animal will relinquish the animal to the unit or police dept or assume ownership, provided he agrees to and complies with section 5-77 within 4 days from the time the unit receives first notification. The expense of the license fee and vaccination muct be assumed by the owner of the animal is reclaimed.

b) It shall be unlawful for any person to refuse to surrender any such animal upon demand by an animal control or police officer.


  • If you cannot hold the pet 10 days, bring the animal to the animal shelter so the owner has a way to locate the pet.  Make sure the county the pet was found in is taken to that counties shelter.

For example:  A pet found in Sevier Co. would go to the Sevier County Humane Society

  • Have the pet scanned at the nearest vet clinic or animal shelter for a microchip
  • If the pet has a dept of health rabies tag and no other identifiable I.D., please call (865)215-6681
  • Check the local newspapers and craigslist and post in those if able to do so
  • Post flyers in the local area of where the pet was found such as in grocery stores, vet clinics, and pet stores